Friday 9 January 2015

A book a week

I have a late entry to my resolutions for this year. Today I happened upon this blog by Tara Anderson   about her experience of reading a book a week for a year and that is what I am now planning to do for 2015. Although it's already the 8th of January I have read two and half books since Christmas, so I reason that I can count them towards my total.

Realistically I may not be able to read 1 book every single week, but I'm confident I can read 52 books during the year, especially as I have a couple of long plane journeys and a few train journeys to take at various points during the next year.

I'd like to use it as an opportunity to read different books to those I would normally read so I plan to ask my friends on Facebook and my followers on Twitter for suggestions. By happy coincidence one of my neighbours had suggested that we start a local book club this year, so that may well provide a few unusual choices too. And, like all other book lovers, I already have a pile of books at home in my "as yet unread" pile, which will set me up nicely for the first few weeks.

I'm happy to say that my family know how much I love reading and no birthday or Christmas passes by without me receiving at least 3 new books.  This year was no exception and so the first two books I read were from among my Christmas presents.  My first choice was Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.  I have always loved Science Fiction and for many years as a teenager would read nothing else, so I was delighted to be introduced to a new Sci Fi author.  I have to say that this one did not disappoint.  I was immediately transported to the world of the Radchaai and literally could not put this book down.  I particularly loved the way the book deals with the gender of characters, and enjoyed reading about the burgeoning relationship between Breq and Seivarden. Having finished it I immediately started on the sequel (Ancillary Sword).  As often happens, I did not find the second book quite as good, but it was still completely unputdownable, and I'm delighted to learn that there will be a third book in the series published in due course.

The book I'm reading this week is The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.

I am genuinely excited about this new resolution, and hopeful that it will expand my horizons. I also suspect it will help me to kickstart this blog again as well, as I will no doubt want to share my thoughts on each new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment